Thursday, September 20, 2007

Honoring the Memory of our Finest

On September 18th, I joined several police officers from Granbury at the funeral for a brother in Christ in Odessa, TX. Abel Marquez, a police officer for the Odessa Police Dept, was gunned down as he tried to render aid to two of his officers. His fellow officers were shot and killed by the same perpetrator during a domestic violence call at a home in West Odessa. Those two officers died at the scene. Officer Marquez passed away at a Lubbock hospital 5 days later. The past weeks for the citizens of Odessa have overwhelmingly painful. Here is an essay I composed when I returned from the funeral.

Over 2100 mourners gathered to grieve with the Marquez family at a downtown church in Odessa. Over 30 police agencies sent officers to pay respects with places as far away as Houston, Galveston, and Presidio, TX. There was a sea of blue uniforms. It was one of those rare occasions where I actually felt out of place in a pin striped suit and red tie. I instantly felt at home as singers from the Golf Course Road Church of Christ stood up to sing Amazing Grace and a beautiful musical arrangement of the 23rd Psalm. The officers sitting near me were visibly moved by the beauty of the music. I was so thankful for the kind brothers and sisters in Christ from Midland who gave up an entire day to comfort those attending the service. Accappella music never sounded better. I was thankful to be a part of the fellowship we enjoy in Christ. People who know what a ministry of mercy is all about…

An elder from one of the local churches eulogized the fallen officer. He had known 32 year old Marquez since the officer was a young boy. The brother in Christ talked about their common interest in riding mountain bikes. It was on one of their biking ventures that this good brother conducting the eulogy shared the Gospel from a pocket New Testament he always carried with him. I left the church building saddened by the awful loss caused by such a horrible act of violence. But I also left inspired to try harder to reach out to people. God has given me ample opportunity to reach out to these men and women who are servants of God, called to protect and serve. I wondered to myself if I am faithful to my calling, as I looked over the endless line of police cars that surrounded the church building that afternoon.

We finally ventured out into the procession, with hundreds of other police units from around the state. I was not prepared for what I was about to see…The city of Odessa had come to a screeching halt. Citizens lined downtown streets and the highway to the cemetery. Many were holding American flags. It appeared that every employee from a local car dealership stopped what they were doing to stand on the highway out of respect. I saw one lady on the side of the road overwhelmed with emotion, as she watched the men and women in blue from the various agencies slowly make their way to the cemetery. I was especially touched by a couple of children who appeared to be about 8 year’s old holding posters they had obviously made themselves which read: “Odessa Christian School is praying for OPD.” In a world where respect seems to be waning with the passing of each day, I found my heart filled with hope.

Rosa’s CafĂ© in Odessa generously served all of the local and visiting officers a free meal, as we prepared to head back to Granbury. I sought out my preaching colleague and fellow police chaplain, Roy Jones before I left. I hugged him and expressed my love for him, and members of his department. Roy has been a great example of Christ’s love to his department during this entire ordeal.
Practicing the presence of Christ was the essence of a new mission statement for me on Sunday, September 16th. I don’t want to be misunderstood. I believed in the validity of the statement. But by afternoon of September 18th, the phrase became a point of heart conviction. The events of the day reminded me of the darkness of the violent world, which we are called to serve. The calling to serve that world was reaffirmed. I was further moved to minister to impressionable and innocent children who will hold signs of support for their local heroes. It was a day of renewal as well as conviction. Practicing the Presence of Christ…what will it mean for you

No comments: